Monday, September 29, 2014

If U R a Sci-Fi Geek ... (Part 1)

... U R already pre-judged as to what Ulook like, and what U do.  U R laughed at, and ridiculed. And, U R distinguished by a few things, such as:


Here is a face of a Sci-Fi Geek



1. Your clothing
2. Nerd-like behavior
3. Spend time reading comic books, watching Scif-Fi TV, play Sci-Fi games, and even playing gaming systems









Typically, you are laughed at by people who think they are "normal", and you are not.

BREAKING NEWS! A lot of those people are just as much of a sci-fi geek as U R! Yes, that's true, but they don't want you to know it.  So, how to you figure out if you are one of us?  Logic and the mind.  Let's take a look at the REAL faces of Science Fiction Geeks.

Oops? Again? Not what you were expecting?  Of course not!  Let's look at another face.

Another face of a Sci-Fi Geek

Again...not what you were expecting, either?  Neither I, nor my #book #character, Kaitlan, look a thing like the typical Sci-Fi Geeks, but we are among the largest  of them. Why?  Because, most won't admit it in public, or aloud.  And, it's a secret, sometimes, to their own families.  

So, if these are the real faces of Science Fiction Geeks, then those who have a preset idea of what we look like are absolutely wrong! A great many people have a "closed mind", or more often, people who close their minds, because they don't want to appear "normal".  No  matter how many people want to deny it, most have seen things their minds cannot explain.  There are two options one has: 
  1. They know what they saw, or heard, but use "Logic" to deny, which allows them to close the mind to the reality
  2. Admit that what they saw, or heard, and open their mind to other possibilities
I know.  My Mother and Father were two examples of option 1.  That's another story. Let's just say the three of us saw something we couldn't explain, followed it, and watched it disappear without seeing it disappear.  My Mom and Dad used "logic" to tell themselves they did not see it, closed their minds, and even at the end of their lives denied that they saw it.

I have been a lover of Science Fiction since...well, forever.  When I was born, the Space Race was just about to take a HUGE leap from Science Fiction into Science Fact.  

TV had Sci-Fi randomly.  I grabbed every single chance to watch it.  Mom and Dad thought it was stupid, so they didn't pay attention to what I was watching.  While I can't remember the first time I saw my first Sci-Fi anything, but I do know I did like comics and TV.  I'm guessing TV.  

Sci-Fi ranges from Space to below the Earth to Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves, Time travel, Alternate realities, and, well, the list is endless.  The first movie that comes to mind is "Them!".  One of the first buggy movies.  But, the one that really clinched my love for Space Sci-Fi is ... "The Day the Earth Stood Still".  I was enthralled with it.  The newest one has nothing on the original with Michael Rennie. It was filmed in such a way that it was entirely believable.  The next one clinched it for me for Disaster movies.  "When Worlds Collide" was different.  A bit cheesy, I guess you could say, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it!  I loved it!  Of course, today, I have the DVD and watch it when I get the urge. And, of course, more Space stuff with "Forbidden Planet".  I wouldn't watch anything that was silent, though.  But, today, I will.  I realize how important they were, and led the way to the others.  These were but a few I loved.

But, Science Fiction goes back to the beginning of mankind.  Some refuse to accept it; others see it easily.  I believe that myth and legend have basis in fact. Strip all of the embellishments away, and get to the basic, original story, and these stories sound real.  The Bible and The Vedas are just two, and there are loads of others from all corners of the Earth.

There is usually a basic theme to most all Sci-fi.  Good is attacked by evil;  evil gains almost all ground; Good wins in the end.  And, accompanying this are in between "themes" of desire, sex, betrayal, and love.   

To be classified as a Sci-Fi Geek, one has to love most genres of the topic.  I'm not as fond as "terror" movies, but I do watch some of them.  

But, what makes us different?  What makes us throw out pre-conceived rules of science?  Plato, author of the Timeaus and the Critias documenting Atlantis, has become the base for most all Sci-Fi anything.  The Lost Island of Atlantis, or continent as some believe, has ignited Sci-Fi lovers and researchers for almost 2600 years.  Written sometime between 460-403 BC, it excited the minds of scientists, researchers, and anyone who believed it could have existed. For thousands of years, people have tried to find it - and have just about everywhere on the face of the Planet. It influenced Sci-Fi writers as well, and caused their minds to expand with possibilities.  J.R.R. Tolkien and Gene Roddenberry are two of the best known. Some of Tolkien's writings seem to describe some parts of the Critias while Roddenberry took to space.  

To be a Sci-Fi Geek, as I have already noted, U must love most every form of the genre through books, TV, movies, and other media.  But, what makes you more of one is that U have watched and/or read some of the oldest known.  

That is impossible, because the original stories were told by "Bards" were the original story tellers to everyone. They came in forms of oratory and even song.  For more listeners, they would embellish a tale, adding to the original basic story.  As the ages wore on, these turned into myths and legends until finally, when writing was discovered, the stories that were told were written down, and handed down throughout the ages.

There are many who would like to believe that Science Fiction was not among these, but they were.  Science Fiction was more than stories and tales. Science Fiction has an uncanny knack at becoming Science Fact.  But, without Science Fiction, it would never happen.  Without the dreamers, authors, writers, TV, movie, etc., there would be no science fact.  Science builds on what others dream, and this is why Science Fiction is extremely important to us.


PART 2 NEXT WEEK!

#lkkelley #whitewolfprophecy




Don't forget to  #followme on #Twitter for #updates!


Also, #subscribe to my #blogs for regular Exclusives, and fun information!

#checkout my #website, too!


#Follow my Googleplus #fan & #author pages.








            

No comments:

Post a Comment