Saturday, July 19, 2014

"What the Heck was I Thinking?" - An Author's Test of Stength

There are truly sometimes a writer feels like giving up trying.  But, why?




So many things go through our minds, it can get overwhelming.  First, writing a book can seem daunting. Many of us say we're going to write a book someday, but most never do. But  there are those of us who actually do it. 

We compete against so many other authors, trying to get your book out to the public can deflate your desire to promote it.  And, it's very time-consuming, and many times, you might be lucky to get a book or two sold in a month - maybe a few more.  Especially in Paperback. 

And you compete with different formats as well.  Paperback and e-books. Some people still won't have anything but a physical book in their hands.  Others love e-books. And then there are those, like me, who love both formats.  Nevertheless, you are still competing against a million or more books, and hundreds of thousands more new books every month.

So, what's a new author to do?  How can we compete against all those books?  There are so many ways, but it can be frustrating.  If you can get a booksigning, some think they are on their way. It's fun, and exciting, but don't think one will get you more signings, or even more sales.   You have to work. Hard.  

One of the surprising things I discovered is that your own state may not support you - if not your own town!  But, another state may support you, especially if your book takes place in that state. 

If you are wondering "why the heck should I even try by now?", I know exactly what you're feeling. You can use every single #hashtag you can come up with on any, or as many  #socialmedia that you can think of at any one time.  #twitter #Googleplus #facebook #pintrest #tumblr and every other one. But, #followers do NOT a sale make!  You could have thousands upon thousands of followes, yet your sales small. You can promote till the cows come home!  But it's not enough. 

It's enough to make you pull your hair out in clumps!  And, it takes a lot longer than a month,  6 months,  a year, or even 2-3 before you might be lucky to get noticed. And even that doesn't translate to sales.  Many of my favorite authors already had all their book series out, before I even discovered them!and most had books written between 2010 & 2014. 

There are so many ways to publish as well!  The big best sellers usually have a large publishing house, or PR behind them which most new Author will not be able to afford.  They must depend on old-fashioned ways to promotee their books. Then, there is self-publishing, independent publishers. Etc. 

But, there are so many great writers out here in the real world who go unknown, and writing becomes more of a hobby. And that's a real shame.  What amazes me are the imaginations of so many people, it just boggles the mind!  

Writing a book commands something different than others have written. But, even that doesn't guarantee you sales.  

Advice?  Working every day is the only way.  And, hopefully, your book might catch on, and it will begin to sell.  The more people who can buy your book, the more it will spread around to others.  And. Don't always depend on #bookreviews for sales, either. 

Biggest advice?  You may want to cry, and just give up completely after a few weeks. Or months. Or feel like throwing your book out the window. You may say, "What the hell was I thinking!"  Don't give up.  I know writers who have worked for 4+ years, and are just getting noticed!  It's not an easy thing to sell your book.  But, one thing I can guarantee you...if you do give up, failure is guaranteed!  

For me...It's not in my nature to give up, and I want this more than anything.  I know I have a whole new take on the #paranormal and #fantasy genre. And it's good!  I have 5-stars behind it from fans.  It's different, and the final book is going to have a HUGE #slamdunk #ending that is nothing like anyone has ever read!  I know this.  I read a lot, and have never read an ending like mine!  And, I'm working on that ending with the 3rd book in the #whitewolfprophecy  #trilogy right now!

It's not whether or not I want to give up, and I'll admit there are times I'm ready to throw in the towel. But,  because I BELIEVE in my book, myself, and I know my books are #unique, really good, well that keeps me going.  Keeps me promoting my books. I can't give up. I won't give up. I'll never give up!  

So, you can give in and give up,  or work hard, harder, hardest. It's actually up to you!

Ii call it "AN AUTHOR'S TEST OF STRENGTH. Do you have it?  When I started this #blog , I was in the "give up mode". But, I lied to myself.  Not going to give up!  

So. Here a my blatant #promotion for my book!  Please give it a try!  You'll really like it! It does have #erotica in it. 




  


B&N




BAM





BOOKWIRE






#Googleplus #twitter #facebook #Google

9781615000500

9781615000562

No comments:

Post a Comment