Saturday, March 21, 2015

How I Write without Counting Words

TWWP TRILOGY

I've been asked by other authors - numerous times - "How many words do you write a day?" Well, the answer is I don't pay attention to word count - ever!  The White Wolf Prophecy Trilogy even has an ending unlike any you have never read!  

So, why don't I count my words per day?  That's another question I have been asked when they hear my answer.  I don't count how many words per day, or per page, or whatever, simply because my concentration is fully focused on my story.   It is far more important to me than how many I write a day.
While I understand other writers pay close attention to this, I just don't.  I've tried it, and I found that I totally lose focus on the story and the plot.  I found myself losing the continuity, and my entire idea when I did so.  I stopped.  I found it useless, and a lot of trouble.  Those who like to write this way I support 100%, but I just cannot do it that way.
For me, a story should flow from a writer's heart and mind as they work together. Weaving a story isn't easy, and the biggest problem is continuity.  When I tried to count the words, I discovered that my continuity along with my plot suffered terribly.  I stopped counting.  Once I did, the continuity and plot returned to me.  After that, I made a promise to myself that I will never use a word count again.
When I used to read, before I began to write, I was totally puzzled when I read word count where I bought my books.  As a reader, it's not important - at least it wasn't to me. I honestly never understood it, and I still do not.
I decided to use my own imagination in my writing.  So, I write a uniquely different way.
When I write, I stop when I get to a place I know I need a "book boost". That's what I call it.  I write by scenes - much in the way a #radio and/or #television script write does. They use things like story boards and conversation as to how each scene should look, what should be said, and how it should be acted.
What do I do this?  I am a visual person.  I can "see" what something should look like in my mind before I write it.  I applied this same thing to designing my book covers as well.
I separate the book into scenes.  Then, I, literally, write the entire scene in my mind before I ever sit down to write it - even if I wake up in the middle of the night!  By doing it this way, I can even "write" while I am at work! While I do this rarely, and when I'm alone (so I don't look like an idiot talking to myself - well, any more than usual, that is! ;) ), I will even act the scene out loud. By acting it out, anything that has me stumped usually is resolved quickly.
Once the scene is fully in my mind, I sit down, and write the entire scene.  Once several scenes are written, then, I review them. I add and subtract from it.
One might say that I'd never get through with my books this way.  Well, this is how I wrote the White Wolf Prophecy Trilogy - all three books - in just 3 months.  Of course, that is when I had more time on my hands, and didn't have an outside job.
As of now, I'm working on two series - one a supplemental to the White Wolf Prophecy Trilogy concerning the children of the werewolves.  The second series is a whole new idea that I came up with, and so far, it fun to write!  While it has a temporary name that I am not yet ready to release, I do have a preliminary concept of a book cover.  I will share it with you here. I'll leave you guessing for a bit! If you have an idea, let me know @lkkelley1 on Twitter!
In addition to that, I have no less than 10 other books that I am working on as well.  I cannot wait to finish this new series for you to read!  
So, this is the answer to my most asked question from other authors. I'm not telling you this to try and change anyone's mind.  I just thought I'd answer the question so everyone can read it!  Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment