Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My First Booksigning "Diary"


I wanted to blog, for you,  about my first #booksigning experience before I forgot about it.

I was nervous. I'm not going to beat around the bush, and lie to you.  I was nervous, scared, apprehensive, and well ... you get the idea.  My Mother had just finished reading "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling when they were called to come and get me.  So, she named me after the little, orphaned, Indian boy in RK's book which, of course, is "Kim".  I never thought I might write a book, or books, but perhaps it was in my genes after all. I am proud of that name, and from where it came.  I doubt I'll ever be a Rudyard Kipling, but I do love to write!  

Signing My First Book
#barnesandnoble
Glendale, #Colorado
June 28, 2014   1-3 pm

I was always the kid who sat in the back, never raised my hand, and when called upon to answer a question, even though I knew it, I froze.  I froze on tests every single time.   And, yet, I am a complete extrovert!  Strange combo.  

I didn't know what to expect.  I didn't want to let everyone down. I didn't want to be a disappointment.  I started second guessing myself, and even thought "I just can't do this!"   I had serious thoughts about running away the closer the signing came! Lots of questions ran through my mind constantly without stopping:

What if I never got a sale, or only 1 or 2? 
Would I be a failure?  
Would I be embarrassed by letting everyone down? 
Would my publisher be sorry he took me?
Was I crazy? 
Nuttier than a fruitcake?
What made me think I could do this? 
Did I make a mistake trying my hand at writing? 
What the hell was I doing here?

And those were just a few of them!  I doubt Superman's "faster than a speeding bullet" could have caught up with my flying thoughts!   

Everyone kept telling me it was going to be fine, but we all know that is just talk. Every time I heard a "good luck", I cringed, but smiled back and said, "Thanks!"  And, on top of all that, I wanted to make a good impression without going overboard.  Hair, makeup, & put on a happy face - that sort of thing. I wanted to be approachable without being overly effusive, or overconfident.  But I didn't want to come across as pushy, or a wall flower either!  How was I supposed to balance all of that when the time came?  I had no answer, and I felt totally inadequate!  My other author friends were so supportive, but it still cNt prepare you for what could happen. 

My publisher kept saying you just never know how it's going to turn out.  I have up. Either I found the guts to do the event or I didn't.  I've never been a quitter, and I wasn't going to be now! I had read of many authors who said they had no one show up, and others, a few.  Then, still others had a huge turnout.  I also have seen authors sitting either inside, or outside, to sign their books, yet no one approaches them. They sit, and don't even try to mingle with customers.  I was told by my publisher that I needed to mingle with the customers.  The funny thing about it?  Every time I tried, I was called back up to the front to sign another book!  Not that I am complaining, you understand.  No. Not at all. In fact, once I went back to the front of the store, I could not get away again.

So, in the end, I decided to just be myself, and like Doris Day sang in "The Man Who Knew too Much", "Que sera sera", or "what will be, will be", and step back, and let the man upstairs handle it all.  And I found it worked. 

My Fans & I had a BLAST! 
Signing a Personal Book Note
                                              
My first #book came out on February 14, 2014 #Valentinesday.  Book 2 in the #trilogy was #released barely in time for the signing, so I had BOTH books available, book 2 in #limited quantities, of course. And, of course, having my book #character and #heroine there to #sign the book was a great plus indeed!  She was so kind to do it for me!  

So, I was myself, I mingled a bit with the customers in the Barnes and Noble, and handed out postcards on my books. 

But, my fans absolutely LOVED - ABSOLUTELY #LOVED my #CONTEST! They just Find the wolf on the front of both The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Mating ~ & The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Hall of Records ~ on the postcard we provided, fill out the postcard with the wolf circled on both books, and mail it back to the publisher to be entered to win a fully autographed Book 3.  He/she will receive the signed book on October 31, 1014, before it is released to the public. (Actual release date February 14, 1015).  

Check out my #website for more info on how to enter.




I consider my first booksigning a success, and I can't tell you how much F U N I had!  It's going to be scary, but just forget it's your first, and just have fun!

So, that's my first booksigning, and my thoughts! Here are a few more pics, and you can find a lot more @ my website below! 
#Thanks for reading! 










After the booksigning, what they had left, #barnesandnoble placed the books on their #shelves Talk about flattered!  My #publisher went back to the store, and took the #photos for me!  

You know, it's one thing to have your book on an #online #store, but quite another to have a booksigning, and then, to have them put onto the #bookshelf !  It's flattering, it's overwhelming, and it's exciting - all at the same time!  

Barnes and Noble in Glendale, Colorado

Barnes ad Noble in Glendale, Colorado

These books are unusual in that BOTH of them are #signed by not only the author, me, LK Kelley, but my BOOK CHARACTER as well! There are very few of these books, so if you live in the #Denver area, run into the store, and snatch your copy up fast!  They are selling quickly!  

It's just so amazing that this has happened to me, and I'm so happy that so many people have bought, and like, my book! 















No comments:

Post a Comment