Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Writing to make Moolah

First, don't quit your day job, unless you're already a best-selling author. 

Second, did you begin to write because you thought you would make a lot of money?  

And, the answer is ...  

... there really is no answer, but, well, it depends.  Do you write for fun,  and the love of writing, or do you write for the money? 

I combine  both. I love writing. Don't get me wrong, but I'd love to make some money, too.  And, that's why I promote myself and my book so hard.  You have to work at everything - even if You are a well-known, best-selling author.


But, it doesn't mean you can't have a lot if fun working as you see on the photo! 

You have to find different ways to promote yourself and your book,  and be willing to do what ever it takes - no matter where you have to go. That includes websites, social networking, booksignings, book tours, speak at bookclub, interviews, or anywhere else, such as a library, or even promote your very own booksigning at a venue within your town,  or surrounding areas.  And at booksignings?  HAVE FUN!  Don't sit at a table & expect people to come to you!  That won't happen. Get out & mingle.  Have business cards, postcards, etc to hand out.  

But, you still have to be realistic, and go into writing a book, or anything else, not knowing if you will make the money.  If you go into writing, then you need to be prepared to wait for sales.  And that could take a long time. 

In other words, don't go into writing thinking you will make  money.  For most of us, it won't happen.  But, it's possible to make a fairly decent living.  And, then, you could luck out, and become a best selling #author , but more than than likely, it won't happen.   Remember, you are competing with hundreds of thousands of other authors.  So you have to find what "hooks" will work for your book.  And that isn't easy!  At least not immediately. 

Would that be cool? Well, of course, it would be!  

Promoting is, by far, the hardest part of writing a book. You should begin by promoting months before it's even sent to the publisher or self-publishing.  Get it out there, and create interest. 

I've also discovered that a catchy title is a good thing. But, on the flip side?  Even a simple, mundane title, can hold the best story!  The old adage that say "you can't judge a book by its cover is absolutely true in the reading world!  

The best thing I found I like is to make sure that you interact on your #socialmedia because people will get to know you. This makes people want to get to know you personally, and professionally.  The more people who follow your social media, the more who will hear about your book.  

Another thing is to write a blog like I do.  It's fun to let people know how you did something. For instance...I design my own covers.  I'm not a fan of stock photos, so I wrote a blog on how I did it. It turned out to be my most popular post on my blog, and people are still reading it!  Here's the link.  


Just don't expect your book to be popular immediately.  

Now for some shameless promotion for my books!  Working hard is not that big a deal for me. Just remember this: 

"Anything worth believing in, is worth working for!" - LKK


Amazon.com 



B&N




BAM





BOOKWIRE






#Googleplus #twitter #facebook #Google

9781615000500

9781615000562

No comments:

Post a Comment