Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Paperback vs. E-book

As an #author  , I discovered an interesting diversity when I asked a question of my own friends.  The question was,
"Do you prefer #paperback  #books   or #ebooks ? " 





Strange thing:  1/3 of them prefer paperbacks because "I like the feel of a real book in my hands, turning real pages, and I can take it anywhere without batteries!"  1/3 of them prefer ebooks because "I like having a lot of books to read, and I only have to have one device to read them!"  That left another 1/3 - like me.  I like BOTH  #formats
. So, here is what I do.  If I find a book (paperback or ebook) that I absolutely can't live without, I purchase it in BOTH formats. But, if something happens to digital on a permanent basis, I have my paperback book.  I cover all the bases! 


So, I decided to #write down my own CONS & PROS of both formats, and I discovered that my answers were similar to my own friends!

EBOOKS


CONS > ebooks = Batteries do run down.  Either you have to have a backup, or have to plug it in, and if something happens to anything digital such as an EMP, the books are forever gone, and even gone is the icloud. Can never get them back.  In this world, today, there is always this possibility, and we cannot ignore EMP's as a possible weapon from somewhere, or simply from our own sun!  You have to figure in the cost of whatever e-reader you have, and the cost probably equates to about the same until your reader is paid for after the fact. Only then, does the book become less expensive.

PROS > ebooks = Can have tons of books at my fingertips. and I have only one device. A bit  Less expensive, but no one ever considers the cost of the e-reader into their book purchases. 




PAPERBACKS


CONS > paperback = Time and age take their toll. Curled pages, weight. More expensive, but you don't need an e-reader, so you don't have to figure in this cost.

PROS > paperback = Never have to worry about batteries, can take them anywhere, smell of a book is unmistakable, and the feel of the pages as you turn feels great!  A bit more expensive, but most will last longer than I'm alive.

So, frankly, the exchange is about equal in prices - depending on what paperback format you buy.  If it's just paperback, and not hardback, it probably equals the same if you figure in your e-reader, because you can't have ebooks without them. But, no matter what...no one every figures in the cost of the e-reader plus e-books. 

As I said above, I make sure I have both formats "just in case" of my favorite books and authors.  You need backups to your backups in different formats, and that's why we can never get away from paper if you want permanent.


So, which format do you like?  Or are you like me, and love both? Take a look at the first two books in my #trilogy!  You won't regret it! 




9781615000500
Amazon: The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Mating ~

Barnes and Noble

Goodreads

BAM

Bookwire
9781615000562
Amazon - The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Hall of Records ~

Barnes and Noble

Goodreads

BAM

Bookwire
     




#Googleplus #google #facebook #twitter #paperback #paperbackbooks #ebooks #paperback #books



9781615000500


9781615000562

No comments:

Post a Comment