Friday, March 7, 2014

Write Your Book; Design Your Cover; Design Your Website: Design a FB Page: Design a Google + Page; and Other Tips

The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Mating ~ Book 1 - 5 Stars on Amazon & Barnes and Noble

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

So, you want to write?  Well, it's a maze out there!  

How many times have most of us said this, but we never get around to it. Some of us encounter a block before we ever write anything. Like any other job, you must commit to it. So, what next?  What do you do?  What to write?  Well, here are a few tips.

  1. Do you want to write fiction or non-fiction?  That's the two main genres.  It's either true stories, or fiction.                                                                                    
  2. Next, you have to break it down into more genres.  There are so many categories, and sub-categories, it's almost intimidating.  The easiest way to figure it out is to wait until you're at least 1/2 way through your book.  Why?  Because, believe it or not, you may start a story with one direction, and turn and go in the next one.                                                                                         
  3. Check around you.  Ask your friends what they like to read, and what other books might be lacking.  What they want to read.                                                           
  4. Read, read, and read again before you decide what your topic will be. Now, it's time to pick your subject.  Some say write about something you know.  Others say use your imagination.  But, above all, do your research.  Me?  I just sit down, and write whatever comes to mind.  What I discovered is that I start out writing, and go where my mind takes me.  Of course, my genre is fantasy and/or sci-fi.  And, I do research as I go if I need it. And, that turns out to be a lot!  The rest I make up in my own mind.                                                                                          
  5. I'd say get away from your family, and what not, but that's not as easy as it sounds. Some write after everyone's in bed.  I don't seem to have the problem of tuning out when I'm writing, so it doesn't really matter where I am.  And, my family doesn't bug me, so this works just fine for me.                                                   
  6. Choose your character's names.  You can alter, and change as you go along to suit what you are writing.  Make a list so you don't forget.  Believe me...you will forget your character's names at one point or another.                                                                                 
  7. Choose the PLACE you want your book set.  I suggest, if you are a new writer, to choose 2 - 3 places you know something about.  In my book?  I have chosen St. Louis, MO and The Rocky Mountains in Colorado. I made Colorado a general area on purpose.  Much of the books take place there, but I stayed away from naming particular areas except for DIA.                                                                                                                
  8. Begin writing.  Don't let your mind stop you from writing something you THINK you'd like to write. If it holds you back, then revisit it.  If you are writing a series of books that connect to each other, it would be best to write them all at the same time.                                                                                                            
  9. After you are done...get a REAL editor.  I suggest independent - not because I am one -  but because they are less expensive, and they will work directly with you.  Choose one who will not try to re-write your book into something you do not recognize.  I don't like this, and as an editor, I work WITH the author to make sure his/her book remains in their vision of what they wanted.                    
  10. Now it's time to get photographs of your characters to put on your book cover as well as your websites, and all the social media!  I have quite a few people willing to be the characters in my book.  If you are lucky enough to know a couple of professional photogs who will do these either free for the publicity (and you need to include them in your book with credits as well as everywhere else), or for a small fee, grab them!  Look around your friends both young to old. Pick some, and ask them if they'd like to be on your cover.                                           
  11. Kaitlan & Cordone

    Cordone

    Kaitlan
  12. In the meantime, while you're waiting for your book to be edited, try to create your own book cover!  Many people use "stock covers" these days - mostly on self-publishing photos. Nothing wrong with this at all. But, for me ... I don't like a "stock cover", and I sure don't have money to hire it done. I wanted mine to be unique. If you have a friend who will help you, that's great! I put mine together all by myself, and you can read how I did it right here at my most popular, and well read, blog!                                                                                                                                                                                              
    Concept Art

    Finished Book Cover

    BOOK COVER DESIGN - How to Design Your Own - Make it Unique
                                    
  13. Get a website, design your FB Fan Page, Google + Fan Page, and author pages as well! There are so many on the internet that allow you to do this for free.  I put together my own, and I designed it as well.   Links follow.   
  14. Design your Timeline photos, and Profile photos that FIT FB, Google +, etc. Most photos do not fit these very well.  You have to design them TOO fit. The size depends upon your photo Editor.  Each is different.  I have both Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro.  For instance, this is my newest Google + cover photo.  Follow the link so you can see what I mean.  On this particular one, I also included the synopsis of my book.  If your book has reviews, make sure that goes on EVERYTHING you post!
    Google + Cover Photo

    Official Website of The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Mating ~ Book 1

    Official FB Fan Page of The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Mating ~ Book 1

    Google + Official Fan Page of The White Wolf Prophecy ~ Mating ~ Book 1

  15. It's time to design a FB author page and a FB Fan page. Most especially, a Google + page - both author and Fan!  Make artwork featuring your characters, and put it up on your Profile pics.  You can do this all kinds of ways if you have Photoshop.  Make sure you change these at the very least, once a week!                                                                    
  16. Put together a video of your book if you can.  That's always a great idea.             I prefer independent, because let's face it.  Many of the big houses don't read everything they get submitted.  If you know an author, ask him/her who they use?  Or, self-publish your book.                                                          
  17. When it is published, it's now up to you to market your own book.  It is not easy, and I won't tell you it is.  It's hard work trying to market it.  I'm still learning, but each time I learn something new, or get a new idea, I try it out.  Don't be afraid to try anything at all.  What might work for another author, may not for you, so you have to be ready to try many different things.

I followed my steps, but not to the letter. I was flexible. I feel the whole reason for writing is to be flexible in what you want to write.  If you write something that you are not happy with, then turn it around, and go a different direction.

Don't let a block stop you.  Instead, use it.  When you encounter a block of any kind, then all you have to do is go in a different direction.  If you think of it like a maze, it may help you more.

Think of writing as a maze.  You find your way until you come to a dead end.  This is called "writer's block".  The great thing about a maze, though, is that you can backtrack, and go a whole new direction.  You may encounter many of these, but if you're flexible, and don't let it stop you, you will easily be writing around that "block".

Don't let anything hold you back.  Work? You bet it is!  Fun! No doubt!  But, it's a real business. Treat it as such!

LK Kelley


http://firebird4554.wix.com/white-wolf-prophecy

9781615000500

#whitewolfprophecy

#lkkelley

#whitewolfprophecyblog


No comments:

Post a Comment