Thursday, June 19, 2014

Confessions of a New Author & My Road to Writing

I really didn't know where to start with this subject, so I guess I'll start at the beginning.

I was a #book #editor before I ever thought of being an #author.  I had been told for years I needed to write books, but like others, I just brushed it right off my shoulder, and kept to my small, meaningless #job of being an #office manager.   The first to go is always in an office, and that's exactly what happened.  And, it wasn't just a small business. One was a large clinic.   

Me
Anyway, I digress.  Back in school, I was proficient in English. Until I was in the seventh grade. I had a great English teacher, though. She was totally off the wall, and eccentric, but I was having trouble diagramming her #scifi stories. Trust me. It frustrated me, because I was always an "A" Student and fell to an "F"! They were really, REALLY weird! She'd have made a great writer herself! Her name was Werner.  I became her college project about how to help a student having problems. When she asked, I was eager to except.  

We met several times a week, and her project was recorded on an old massive tape recorder.  We turned out to be equal partners, and we worked hard on it.


After the 2nd semester, my grade rose to a "D".   While I was still irritated at myself, she told me it wasn't, and I was making progress.  I didn't feel it, but I trusted her judgement.  We continued. The 3rd semester, I earned a "C". And, finally, the 4th semester, I was her top student, and an "A".  I had earned it, and her project was a great success for her continuing success.

From that point forward, I never made anything less than an "A" in any type of English class including English Lit.  

Fast forward to 2012.  I became a book editor, even though the truth is I have been editing other's works through the years. It's fun!  I am still an #editor, but one of my clients urged me to write a book.  

So, last July, almost a year ago, a story came to me fully laid out, and although I could put it into one book with about 900 pages, I broke it up into 3 different books.  I chose #paperback for my #trilogy.  In a couple of days, I had a whole trilogy ready, and waiting to be written.  So, I started to write The White Wolf Prophecy Trilogy. The title eluded me for a short time, but I figured it out.  




                                           
~ Mating ~ book 1
~ Hall of Records ~

I spent hours on end at my computer.  I was afraid I'd lose my train of thought. From July to September, 2012 I wrote the trilogy. And, then I started to #edit it.  the story is #paranormal in design, BUT, the story is not like others in the same  genre.  I wanted to make my #werewolves #vampires and #elves completely different than the norm.  

I didn't even try for a publisher until I had it totally written.  And, that was my next hurdle. I knew any of the bigger publishers would probably not even give it a #read . I also knew, at that point, I really didn't want to #self-publish. So, I chose an independent publisher.  He was discriminating, and told me everything, and was honest. So far, Michael Kiser has proven his #honesty with me.  He also believes new authors should get a chance to be known.  And, then, I learned that a lot of getting the book out to the public would be my responsibility.  I didn't mind.  I believed in my work so much, I built a website before Book 1 was ever published, and released (on Valentine's Day 2014).  Book 2 released on June 10, 2014 also in paperback. ISOTUT 

After the 5-Star reviews of book 1, I was honestly shocked all the way around, because I never expect that at all.  When book 2 was released, again, I was shocked to find it was also 5-Stars!  I couldn't believe it!  I still have a hard time processing it!
And, now, if that wasn't enough, I was invited to the Barnes & Noble in Glendale, Colorado on June 28th for my very first book signing event!  Now, I am REALLY overwhelmed!

But, I am so grateful to all those who have bought my books!  It's a strange feeling to know that even when I am gone, my books will still be around.  Leaving something behind.  It's humbling in many ways.  I feel honored to be a part of the community of writers, and authors.

Thank you for reading my blog!  I truly #appreciate it!



9781615000500
9781615000562























No comments:

Post a Comment