Saturday, December 28, 2013

"I" versus "Me", and Other Errors in E-book Self-Publishing

Not only am I the author of The White Wolf Prophecy, Mating, Book 1 of The White Wolf Prophecy Trilogy,  I am also an independent book editor.  It's one thing to edit a physical book, but a far different matter for an e-book.

There are so many e-books that could really be great sellers if only they would hire an editor.  And, many  independents are not unreasonable, but are just as good, and much less expensive than one who works for a company.

My intention, unlike many other editors, is to NEVER change the intent and vision for an author's books.  So many people's books never end the way they wished them.  I refuse to do this.  Each author has a specific vision of their own books.  In most cases, there is no reason to change this.  I only edit English, and in some cases, make the book read correctly as to grammar, but never to change the intentions of the author.

One of the single, biggest complaints I have read in reviews when it comes to e-books are people who complain about misspellings, incorrect grammar, ending sentences with prepositions, duplication, and so much more.

One of the most disturbing trends is the incorrect use of "I and Me" in conjunction with another person.

=======================================================================

Let's look at a simple sentence written with what I read all the time - mostly in e-books.

"It's really great for Dick and I."

This is totally incorrect.  I have found this in many an e-book, especially.  If it was in just one, it might be either deliberate, or the lack of English.  But, it's in almost every single book that I read or edit.

The correct sentence is:

"It's really great for Dick and me."

Now, WHY?

There is a very, very simple check for the correct usage.  This is how it works:

You take the sentence, and split it up into thre separate sentences using both Dick, me, and determine which one sound right as you would say it.

The original wrong sentence:

"It's really great for Dick and I."

Now, let's split these up into three sentences in the singular.

1.  "It's really great for Dick."
2.  "It's really great for I."
3.  "It's really great for me."

Now, speak them out loud.  If you were saying these sentences, which one sounds the way you would actually speak?

IF you picked sentence #2, you are wrong.  The correct sentences are #1 and #3.

Take the two sentences, and now combine them with the correct, singular sentences.

"It's really great for Dick and me."

I am totally at a loss why this is not taught in school.  It's too consistent to be an error.

=======================================================================

There are other mistakes.  Duplicate words, sentences, and even paragraphs that are not caught.  An author should read and re-read their work at least 3-5 times even before an editor works with it.

Other mistakes are punctuation.  While I can overlook some, as an editor, it's against my nature to do so.

I urge writers - both veteran and new - to, at least, correct this particular incorrect grammar.  It will make your books read fare more professional.

If you have a problem with grammar, you can contact me below, or look it up on the internet.

It's a shame that so many are copying this error over and over.  In the days of self-publishing, it's either essential for the author to read their work many times, and correct errors. If they cannot do this, then it is even more important to hire an editor.

The big attention seems to be "formatting" for different e-books.  But, one can format all they wish, but if the book is filled with errors, it makes it harder to read.

As I said.  Correcting the errors could mean the difference between a mediocre book, and a best seller.


Other links to my book:

Official Fan Page of The White Wolf Prophecy

LK Kelley Author Page

The White Wolf Prophecy Google Page

LK Kelley Author, Google Page of White Wolf Prophecy

Twitter Page


9781615000500

#whitewolfprophecy

#lkkelley

#9781615000500

#valentinesday2014

#valentinesdaygiveaway

#whitewolfprophecyblog














No comments:

Post a Comment