Thursday, April 16, 2015

"Writing the White Wolf Prophecy without an Outline" - Part 1 of "Writing the White Wolf Prophecy" for Bookbloggers

Authors are frequently asked the same questions.  One of these most frequent questions is, invariably, 


"Do you use an outline for writing?"

That's an interesting question, and my answer is always "No", followed by 


"Why?"

I think it depends on the author. I doubt any two authors write in the same manner.  My style of writing is a great deal different than most. Writing outlines were taught to most of us in school. It was to keep us on track with the writings assigned. While I had to use them, my personal preference was that they were useless to me. Why?  
That question was easily answered when my writings went in a different direction. I found that keeping to an outline limited me. We turned in an outline to be approved before beginning to write.  Then, we were expected to adhere to that outline.  There was no deviation allowed. 
When I began my paper, my mind was blank. The outline I had to follow did not meet with my own expectations. I hated it with a passion to the point I wanted to tear up the paper!  But, I had to follow it to the letter regardless.  These were the hardest papers I ever wrote. Thank goodness, as I grew older, subsequent papers required no outlining!  
It was then my mind awakened to the unlimited possibilities of writing.  I was able to BS my way with straight A's in English, literature, and all other classes requiring essays, book reports, term papers, and others.  I loved writing essays the most.  Because they were short, I could say what I wanted learning to condense what I wrote in the fewest words possible.  The opposite, though was more difficult for me.  The longer papers I wrote, the more I had to expand my already extensive vocabulary in order to fill in the "blanks".   Everything had to be typed & spaced either by 1.5 or 2 lines. Footnotes had to be applied at the bottom of the pages, and I had to type on a child's typewriter.  Daddy worked at Sears & Roebuck, and when they cleaned out their ancient typewriters, he bought one for $5.  I completed my schooling in high school & college on that old thing!  It was magic to me!  I still have it!  
Once I graduated in music with a minor in English, I put down my pen, & ceased writing until 2012 when I stumbled into editing books.  I love it, and it gives me great satisfaction to help writers books be their best. 
In 2013, I decided to return to writing, but this time a book.  So, I tried the outline thing again, and it was just as useless as in my school days. It was then, I decided to write in an entirely different way.  Something that would allow me to expand, contract, and change my book at will. 
I'm a huge movie fan, and love to listen to the commentaries about how they storyboard the scenes.  That clicked for me. 
Writing by scenes was the way for my writing style! It gave me the freedom to write whatever I wanted, and if I changed the scene, it was a simple matter to change it!  
Where movie directors, etc, use storyboards, I completely immersed myself scene by scene in my books  - all within my mind!  
  1. I am a huge visualization writer. I had a basic idea, then visualized it in my mind
  2. I wrote the entire scene in my mind, but that wasn't enough
  3. Next I acted the scene out in my mind.  This came, many times, in the middle of the night
  4. After I was satisfied with the scene, my fingers flew over the keyboard and I had the scene fully written in a short time
  5. The next scene grew out of that one 
  6. I wrote the villain's scenes in between, and made sure it flowed from the previous one
I was stunned when I realized I had 280 pages written, and I was not close to finishing the book. I had enough scenes & material to write a Trilogy!  
Each book was written after the scenes were laid out before I wrote them. This kept the continuity on track as well. Once 3 books were written, I edited each one, deleting and adding to the scenes, or getting rid of entire scenes  if necessary. That was rare. I was also able to catch a few continuity errors as well. 
So, this is how the White Wolf Prophecy Trilogy came to you. I hope you like them!  The reviews are 100% real, and no reviews were bought. Enjoy and if you will write a review, I'd love it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment